Monday, June 04, 2007

Stuff for our Civic Map

Here's some of the things I thought about adding to our civic map. I thought I'd post them on the blog as well:

Stuff to add to Civic Mapping:
People:
Dean of Research: John Duncan (didn't ever speak to him, but he could be useful). His secretary, Ilona Visagie, was not terribly helpful. That's one avenue we tried that didn't work too well. Heather Davies-Coleman (Duncan's assistant) would probably be better. I know her.
Mark Hazell, manager of Grounds and Gardens, has a great personality and gives some excellent quotes. He knows me since I'm a friend of his daughter.
Janice Limson (Dept of Biochemistry, Microbiology and Biotechnology): very friendly and willing to comment.
Valerie Møller, Professor of Quality of Life Studies at Institute for Social and Economic Research was great, and very aware of what's going on in town. She reads her Grocott's religiously.
Denis Hughes at Institute for Water Research was also helpful. He's got a son in first year.
Larry Strelitz, acting Dean of Humanities, is a good person to ask about the Journ department and humanities in general, but he's too journalist-aware and very cagey.
George Euvrard, Dean of Education, on the other hand, was wonderful: very open in sharing his faculty's plans with me and inviting me to a faculty board meeting. He knew my Dad from high school, which helps.
Anton Vorster, Director of the Finance Division, was happy to answer my questions and to be e-mailed a follow-up question. He knew my uncle somewhere down the line, but that's a rather vague connection.

Places:
Pick 'n Pay (not a great place to do vox pops in town, but Checkers is worse)
Activate office (good for picking up story ideas and assignments, especially at editorial meetings)
Rhodes e-Research Repository online (for interesting research that can be reported on)

No comments: